Tuesday 10 April 2012

Memory...

In terms of my memory, the one that seems to be failing me and I am only in my 36th year of life! What will I be like when I am 70 Lord willing I live to that age!

 It is funny what once you take for granted can become something of the past in such a split second. I was the one that people counted on to remember names, numbers, directions, just good old information. Since the motorcycle accident my short term memory just does not process the same and drudging items out of the long term memory can sometimes be a dubious task.


So as each day goes and I work on the items I am supposed to, to help learn new ways of doing things it humbles me to think of all the "things" I took for granted prior to this accident.

Like the fact that I never had to work to attain good grades, that skills came very naturally to me. That I could multi-multi task...now I am left to cope with the grief over losing these such abilities and teaching myself new coping and managing strategies and skills. I look fine on the outside, albeit a little extra pudgy as to previous to the accident. People that didn't know how highly I functioned would see nothing wrong with my brain, aside of the forgetfulness and word finding at times. I however have to learn to live with a different brain than I once had. The Doctors keep telling me had I not been "a high functioning person" I probably would not even care or potentially notice the deficits I have.

Sometimes being the perfectionist has its benefits, sometimes it has its downfalls. I have not decided which it is for me yet, as I have been told that by way of my perfectionism and stubbornness that is the reason I have made the leaps and bounds I have in my recovery!

 I myself like to think it is my prayer's being answered!

No comments:

Post a Comment